How Often to Change Your Spark Plugs
Are you unsure of how often to change the spark plugs in your car? You’re not alone. Plenty of drivers in Raleigh are uncertain as to whether they’re changing their spark plugs prematurely or not often enough. Some experts maintain that spark plugs should be replaced every 30,000 miles, but this number doesn’t necessarily apply to every make and model on the road. For the most reliable answer to “when do I change spark plugs?”, take a look at your owner’s manual. In the meantime, you can learn more about spark plugs with Hendrick Chevrolet Cary, below!
When to Change Spark Plugs: Warning Signs to Look for
The spark plugs are an important component of your car’s ignition, necessary for a clean start when you need to hit the road in Cary. When you turn your key in the ignition or press the push-start button, the spark plugs go to work moving the high voltage current away from the ignition coil and over to the combustion chamber. If you’ve experienced any of the following issues, the answer to “when do I change spark plugs?” could be sooner than later:
Warning Signs When Spark Plug Replacement Is Necessary
- Difficulty starting the vehicle or total failure to start it
- Engine misfire
- Rapid fuel consumption
- Difficulty accelerating
- The engine struggles to run well
- Unstable idling
Why Should You Change Your Spark Plugs Regularly?
Avoiding the aforementioned issues is reason enough to get spark plug replacement when necessary, but if you need some extra incentive, review these additional benefits:
- Optimized efficiency – In extreme cases, bad spark plugs can lower your fuel economy by up to 30%! Replace your spark plugs often to maintain your efficiency on Apex roads and spend less time at the pump.
- Stable combustion – Spark plugs facilitate steady combustion so your vehicle’s ignition system is always dependable.
- Clean starts – The last thing you want is to struggle to start your car in the morning. Keeping up with spark plug replacement helps the engine turn over as soon as you turn the key.
- Cleaner emissions – In addition to maximizing your fuel economy, healthy spark plugs keep your vehicle’s emissions as clean as possible.
Should You Always Replace All the Spark Plugs?
You now know how often to change spark plugs; if you’re thinking that every 30,000 miles is quite frequent, you might also be wondering if you must replace all spark plugs at the same time. Generally, it’s recommended that you have all the spark plugs (one for every engine cylinder) replaced at the same time. Otherwise, your vehicle might give you inconsistent performance.
Spark Plug Replacement in Cary
If you’re not ready to learn how to change spark plugs on your own, the expert technicians at our service center in Cary, NC can complete a spark plug replacement in a timely manner! We offer online scheduling to keep things convenient for you, and there’s always an ongoing selection of service coupons available to make essential maintenance more affordable. Looking for more service advice you can trust? Visit our service information center to learn more about your car’s maintenance needs.